Competitions:

Events I've Completed:

Run for Rescue - 4/30/11 - 5k - 29:05 (finished 2nd in my age)
Ojai to Ocean - 6/5/11 - Half Marathon - 1:56:37 (Ran with Lisa!)
Megan Savage Memorial - 9/24/11 - 5k - 31:16 (Ran with Bill!)
Beach Derby 10k - 11/6/11 - 56:40 (Ran with Nikki!)
RnRLV - 12/4/11 - Half Marathon 2:18 (Ran with Nikki!) Got sick by race end. Sick three days.
Surf City - 2/5/12 - Half Marathon - 1:55:02 (PR) Ran with Lisa and Sarah
Battle of the Boxes-2/23/13-5:04 Mini Helen-8th place overall team finish
Crossfit Open 13.1-131
Crossfit Open 13.2-232
Crossfit Open 13.3-183
Crossfit Open 13.4-54
Crossfit Open 13.5-49
Battle of the Boxes: Unknown Edition- 3rd place finish!

Upcoming:

Crossfit Open 2014!





This is my before photo. I weighed 15 pounds more, was exhausted all of the time and wasn't getting better at crossfit, running or life. It was time for a change.

My before photo

My before photo

Thursday, November 3, 2011

10k This Weekend

I can't believe how busy my life has been.  I was in a good place and decided I really missed Crossfit.  So I committed to twice a week classes.  It's been great, but it has impacted my running.  I haven't done any long runs since I started back at Crossfit.  My hip had been bothering me, a lot so I've been a little hesitant to do a long run from that as well.  I finally started going to the chiropractor and I think the Crossfit has helped loosen me up too.

My 14 year old daughter and I are going to run a 10k this weekend.  We are running the RNRLV half marathon the first weekend in December and I figured this would be a good test for us.  Now I'm getting concerned about my ability to even run the half since I haven't been training.  I've never run a 10k and have been looking for one.  So when this came up, I jumped at the chance to run it.

This week I'd planned a run for Monday.  A friend asked if she could join me, so of course I took her up on the offer.  Unfortunately she isn't a runner so we only got in 4 miles.  But it was my first run with a friend and it was nice.  Today I got in 6 miles and felt good.  At least I know I can complete the run this weekend.  I think I'm going to tell my daughter that she's welcome to run ahead of me.  I don't want to hold her back and I think she could definitely do the 10k faster than I can.  I think for the half, she'll have to pace herself a bit more and I might be able to catch her, but we'll see.  I really want both of these races to be positive experiences so that she wants to do it again.  I think it'd be so amazing for her to be able to say she's done a half marathon at the age of 14!

How about you?  Have any of you run races with your kids?  What age is a good age for longer races?

No comments:

Post a Comment