Competitions:

Events I've Completed:

Run for Rescue - 4/30/11 - 5k - 29:05 (finished 2nd in my age)
Ojai to Ocean - 6/5/11 - Half Marathon - 1:56:37 (Ran with Lisa!)
Megan Savage Memorial - 9/24/11 - 5k - 31:16 (Ran with Bill!)
Beach Derby 10k - 11/6/11 - 56:40 (Ran with Nikki!)
RnRLV - 12/4/11 - Half Marathon 2:18 (Ran with Nikki!) Got sick by race end. Sick three days.
Surf City - 2/5/12 - Half Marathon - 1:55:02 (PR) Ran with Lisa and Sarah
Battle of the Boxes-2/23/13-5:04 Mini Helen-8th place overall team finish
Crossfit Open 13.1-131
Crossfit Open 13.2-232
Crossfit Open 13.3-183
Crossfit Open 13.4-54
Crossfit Open 13.5-49
Battle of the Boxes: Unknown Edition- 3rd place finish!

Upcoming:

Crossfit Open 2014!





This is my before photo. I weighed 15 pounds more, was exhausted all of the time and wasn't getting better at crossfit, running or life. It was time for a change.

My before photo

My before photo

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Dieting in the Zone

Like most everyone else in the world, I've struggled with my weight over the years.  After having 3 kids, my weight was about 15 pounds more than I'd like.  Then I hit my late 30's and my hormones went a little (ok a lot) wacky and I'd gained another 10 pounds in a year.  That added no energy and cravings for junk to keep me going throughout the day.  I went on natural hormones, thyroid and started to feel like my old self.  That's about the time I was able to start doing Crossfit.  I did that for 10 months and started feeling stronger, but never lost any weight.  I decided to take a month off and focus on my diet.  I did ediets and had them deliver food to me weekly.  It was a great way to control the number of calories I ate, but the diet wasn't very healthy.  They were comfort type foods that I wouldn't normally even eat.  The good news was that after 8 weeks, I lost 15 pounds.

When the weight was under control, I started running.  I was hoping that would help me to lose more weight while eating more normal foods.  After nearly a year of running, I haven't lost any additional weight.  So now I'm on to try something else.  Most all of the crossfit community seems to endorse either paleo or zone diets.  The zone diet seems like a healthy and doable way of eating.  So this week, I've been following the diet pretty well.  We eat out a lot due to crazy kids schedules in the evening, but you can eat out and remain in the zone.  I haven't weighed myself this week, but I do feel good.

I'd love to hear from others that have done the Zone diet.  What are some of your favorite meals and snacks?

My favorite breakfast is: 1 oz of canadian bacon, 1 scrambled egg, 1 oz of shredded cheese inside of half of a whole wheat pita.  Along with half an apple and 3 macadamia nuts.

My favorite snack:  hard boiled egg with hummus

My favorite dinner:  chili- onion, bell pepper, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, ground turkey (or beef), 1/4 cup kidney beans, 1/4 cup black beans, 1 cup tomato sauce.  Serve with 1 oz cheese and cilantro to taste.  

No comments:

Post a Comment