Competitions:

Events I've Completed:

Run for Rescue - 4/30/11 - 5k - 29:05 (finished 2nd in my age)
Ojai to Ocean - 6/5/11 - Half Marathon - 1:56:37 (Ran with Lisa!)
Megan Savage Memorial - 9/24/11 - 5k - 31:16 (Ran with Bill!)
Beach Derby 10k - 11/6/11 - 56:40 (Ran with Nikki!)
RnRLV - 12/4/11 - Half Marathon 2:18 (Ran with Nikki!) Got sick by race end. Sick three days.
Surf City - 2/5/12 - Half Marathon - 1:55:02 (PR) Ran with Lisa and Sarah
Battle of the Boxes-2/23/13-5:04 Mini Helen-8th place overall team finish
Crossfit Open 13.1-131
Crossfit Open 13.2-232
Crossfit Open 13.3-183
Crossfit Open 13.4-54
Crossfit Open 13.5-49
Battle of the Boxes: Unknown Edition- 3rd place finish!

Upcoming:

Crossfit Open 2014!





This is my before photo. I weighed 15 pounds more, was exhausted all of the time and wasn't getting better at crossfit, running or life. It was time for a change.

My before photo

My before photo

Monday, February 25, 2013

Battle of the Boxes

So I did it!  My first crossfit competition, Battle of the Boxes was this past Saturday.  I was slightly nervous, but less than I expected.

My workout was a min Helen.  It was two rounds of a 300 meter run, 14 kettlebell swings (35lb) and 8 pull ups.  I was surprised at how young and fit the other three women were in my heat and was even more surprised at how dang fast they took off for the first run.  I did my best to not fall behind and we all four entered the door together.  Two pulled ahead at the pull ups and were out the door before me, but I had a good lead on the fourth.  I ended up finishing in 5:04, which was okay.  There was an 8 minute time cap, so at least I finished well ahead of that.  But overall that put me in 16th place of 24.  I guess considering many of those girls were half my age, I should be pleased.



Then we moved on to the strength portion.  It was the Crossfit Total.  There was a 7 minute time cap for all four team members to find their 1 rep max of: back squat, shoulder press & deadlift.  My three teammates are WAY stronger than me so it was decided they would hit their max on the back squat and then as we stripped the plates for shoulder press, I'd hit what I knew was close to my max.  It ended up not giving me much time but I ended at 165 which was a 5# PR, so I was fine with it.  Then I hit the first shoulder presses.  I got two presses in.  One at 85 # and one at 90#.  That was an 7.5# PR, so I'll take it.  Deadlift I got three pulls in.  My last max was 225#, and on this one I hit 245# and then let them take over.  I didn't want to waste their time when I knew they'd kill it at over 300, the boys up over 400#'s!  We ended up finishing in 8th place overall, which I think was the highest for our box in the intermediate division.

So all in all I had a great time seeing such amazing competitors out there, and being there to cheer on my friends.  Watching the advanced division just brought it to a whole new level.  So impressive!

And now Monday morning, I get to go hit a full Helen!  What?! Yep that's our WOD today.  I'm still sore from Saturday, but it'll be interesting to see how it goes.

Have any of you ever participated in any other crossfit events besides the Open?  How did it go, and how did you do personally?

No comments:

Post a Comment